the unique needs of all females, young and old, in health and fitness settings. Women's
Fitness Program Development introduces a groundbreaking model for women's
health and fitness.
* Build a solid theoretical basis for girls' and women's health and
* Develop programs that take into account how females see the world.
* Find touchstones that motivate clients to achieve a lifetime of fitness.
* Design your classes around women's physical, psychological, social, and
* Learn about appropriate exercises and positions for females at different
Written by a fitness expert with more than 30 years' experience teaching dance
and exercise to girls and women, this book is thoughtful, research-based, and
packed with insight. It is a practical resource for instructors, trainers,
health care providers–any professional working with girls and women in a
health and fitness setting.
Women's Fitness Program Development is divided into four sections:
Adolescence, Pregnancy, Postpartum Period, and Menopause. Each section defines
terminology; suggests how to set goals and priorities; and provides appropriate
exercise components, prescriptions, modifications, and program evaluation
The text includes the following special features:
* 60 photos illustrating appropriate exercises and positions for different
* Instructions for female-focused exercises, such as strengthening the pelvic
floor and centering the body
* Sidebars with practical instructional tips
* 30 forms for screening, assessment, participant worksheets, evaluation, and
other program needs
* Examples from current programs focused on girls and women
Ann Cowlin provides information relevant to all stages of the female life cycle.
She includes a 10-week creative physical activity curriculum for adolescent
girls, detailed explanations of contraindications for exercise and conditions
requiring assessment and warning signs in pregnancy, plus exercise guidelines
for pregnant women. Cowlin also includes insightful ideas for working with
pregnant and parenting adolescent girls. She addresses approaches for dealing
with physical conditions resulting from pregnancy, birth, and the extended
postpartum period; and she offers sample group fitness sessions for midlife